Yes my friends I am the real, original blogging Un-Marketer … and let me tell you why you should un-market yourself pronto.
Marketers today are a dime a dozen.
Because they follow the same format.
- They have the typical photoshopped pic;
- All shiny and spiffed up in their sunday-best business suit;
- Airbrushed with tons of makeup, hair done to the nines (or shaved head preferably for the men);
- A huge smiley face, bleached white chiclets (aka teeth);
- The same pose, arms folded over chest, grinning a-la-Forbes style;
- With an in-your-face email opt-in form adorning their header and profile;
- Cornball business name (e.g. ‘Pro Social Media Labs Inc.’ whilst running their empire out of a bedroom);
- Outrageous (and unverified) claims of income and social media expertise. (Who’s your guru);
- In-your-face landing pages and email pop-up forms. (They call it permission marketing. I call it permission spamming. You always wanted to be on somebody’s list didn’t you. Rhetorical);
- A cheesy headset microphone strapped to their mouth preaching to the choir. (Hello … can you hear me now);
- Link bait titles. (We love those don’t we);
- Or variations of the theme (your mileage may vary);
- All the while recycling those old ”tips” for the upsell (many that they stole from me);
- Etc., etc., etc…
Sound familiar? Seriously! Yawn. You know what I’m talking about. Some of these dudes are downright scary and look like snake oil salesmen more than anything else. (And some look like the person sharing your church pew last Sunday. Purely coincidental of course).
A long time ago I started something called “Contrarian Blogging“. Just like they tell you to not follow the crowd when it comes to investing, well the same goes for doing business online.
I call it Contrarian Marketing (or Un-Marketing).
Don’t reinvent the wheel. Dare to be bold. Dare to be different!
(By the way, I created the avatar on the right as a parody of the Forbes-style marketer).
So how can you be different? By not copying what others have done before you. Go in another direction.
To boldly go where no marketer has gone before.
Whatever you do be authentic. Be Real.
Do you want to stand out from the crowd? Then here’s a tip from your friendly Blog Bloke. Un-market yourself now and let me show you how.
I’m creating a new series of UnMarketing articles for your reading pleasure.
OMG! I even created a new “marketing” category just for it. Will wonders never cease.
Stay tuned dear friends. More goodness to follow…