Learn SEO in Under 10 Minutes
SEO for Startups in Under 10 Minutes by Maile Ohye, a developer programs tech lead at Google. Yes indeed, this video is presented in a way as if she had only 10 minutes as your SEO consultant.
It’s a good video covering the basics with a lot of decent information in it, such as choosing between URLs with or without “WWW” (which coincidentally I wrote about many years ago) and setting up a 301 redirect.
In a nutshell the video covers:
- Verifying your site with Google Webmaster Tools and setting up email notifications for problems.
- Doing a background check for your domain name.
- Fetching your blog as Googlebot.
- Including analytics code in your blog.
- Blog design and strategy.
- Relevant Conversion.
- Keywords and descriptive Anchor Text.
- Page load time.
- Social Media Marketing benefits.
Basic, yet important information that every blogger needs to know.
Of course Google doesn’t really care how well your site ranks so the video doesn’t provide advice how to beat up your competition. But covering the basics here is a good place to start.
Then again, what do you want for only 10 minutes or less.
I do like her statement regarding shady SEO hucksters, and if a company that provides SEO services guarantees anything .. it is usually “bad news.” So true in many cases.
But I wish there was an explanation why so many content curators are ranking well and in some cases beating out original content curators. Googlebot still needs some tweaking.
What do you think? Was the video helpful? Was there anything left out that you think is important?Tweet