Forget Blogging For Ads: Promote Your Products or Services
I was reading today “Blogging for Ads is Dead - 5 Reasons Why You Sell Yourself Short & How You Can Fix It” by Gyutae Park. In his post he lists 5 reasons why you should avoid placing ads on your blog:
- Blogging for ads is whole lot of work for little pay
- Blogging for ads makes it very difficult for newcomers to survive
- Blog ads are passive - they don’t take advantage of your influence
- Blog ads force you to put advertisers before your readers
- Blog ads give you a negative perceived image
Instead he recommends monetizing your blog via:
- Direct sales of your own products and services
- Indirect monetization - new venture opportunities, clients, book deals, etc.
- Affiliate marketing - promoting others
What I found most intriguing about his post is his view that ads somehow cheapen a blog.
“A passive ad on your blog is a bad deal for everyone involved: you the blogger, the advertiser, and your readers. Blog ads don’t offer much compensation and can actually taint your credibility. They don’t give active exposure to advertisers and are obtrusive and irrelevant to readers.”
Whereas, I’ve heard others argue that a blog with ads gives the impression of an influential authority blog.
As for myself I’ve struggled with running ads on this blog. Like you I could always use a little extra coin but I’m concerned with turning readers off.
Call me cynical if you like but I’m suspicious of a blogger’s ethics who writes about products that earn them an income. Blogs that are just a billboard for promoting their own products or services are another complete turn-off.
When I click on a blog with a lot of blinking ads the scripts take forever to load the page and I get frustrated and close the tab.
I’m also turned off blogs that are obviously designed to just link bait readers and make money.
So I would like to know what you think:
- Do ads turn you off or hurt a blog’s credibility?
- Or do ads give you the impression that it is an influential authority blog?
- Do slow-loading ad scripts frustrate you, and do you end up closing the tab like I do?
- Is there any way to ethically earn income blogging, and without turning off readers?
I would really like to know what you think because I’m still struggling if I should monetize this blog and the best way to go about it.