The Future of Online Business
Now listen up folks. The old school ways of marketing are over.
Gone are the days of link bait, SEO tricks and closed blog networks. They are a dying breed.
Enter the new, New Media School of Online Business.
A bold statement to make don’t you think? But before you get medieval and burn me for heresy, consider this:
Old school marketing blogs continue to preach the ancient dogma — you should trick readers to your blog with exaggerated titles and calculated keywords:
- But smart bloggers know that only brings short term gain and can actually hurt your credibility over the long run.
- You can only fool a fool for so long.
- Short term gain, or long term credibility? It’s a no-brainer.
Old school marketers encourage bloggers to enter saturated niches (like mine for example):
- They say go ahead and copy another successful blogger. The more the merrier.
- But what they don’t tell you is the first to market wins. The rest of the jackals only get the scraps.
- It excessively clogs up the market, lowers reader expectation and the overall quality of the content.
- I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard “that’s all we need .. another blog about blogging“. And they’re right.
- We don’t need to reinvent the wheel with more of the same old same old. We need originality, creativity and innovation.
Old school marketers say create your own self-serving network:
- We’re not Worthy! Need I say it? Yes, that is elitism. It is also anti-social.
- Leading the charge are the blog mafia bosses who reap most of the reward, whilst their loyal and naive soldiers fall on the sword to their early demise.
- The truth is genuinely earned popularity is more valuable currency than phony manufactured ‘influence‘ will ever be.
- Why? Because it is real ROI, and real people get that.
Old school marketers say use SEO tricks to get more traffic and readers:
- Now that Google is big on social media it has done away with old SEO tricks that were once the standard.
- Take my word for it. SEO is a tired old dog chasing its tail … WOOF!
Today it’s all about connecting:
- With the advent of social media, thanks muchly to the incredible growth of mobility, people want to connect more than ever in a real and meaningful way.
- That means building trust with real relationships.
- You don’t build ‘trust‘ with tricks or cheating. That’s disconnection.
- It’s about connecting for real .. REAL, genuine connection.
The old ways of doing business online are over. Of course some old school marketing still works to a certain extent, albeit for the wrong reasons as I already mentioned. It needs to get with the times and the social web, tempered with ethics and a little common sense. Something that seems to lacking out there.
Is that heresy or just being real? You tell me.
It’s your turn now. The comments section is open…