Breaking Radio Silence: Testing 1 2 3
I’ve been a busy little boy refining the blog template and trying to make it more usable and look like a theme instead of just a hodge-podge of unrelated code.
Recent changes that I’ve made to this site:
1. Fixed the post truncating problem thanks to help from Jason at Bluefur.
2. Removed some useless Wordpress plugins that I’ve been testing.
3. Moved the MyBlogLog widget over to the right-hand sidebar where it should be.
4. Moved the menu items (recent/popular posts and categories on the right) lower down the sidebar. I didn’t like the way it was shoving down my feed subscription box. I also added a Tweets menu list.
5. I’m now showcasing more of my previous posts in the middle section block of the home page.
6. I created some borders, lined up the margins, played with the colors and added formatting to the post excerpts on the home page to help separate the content better and make it more readable.
7. Moved the entire blog over to a fresh install of Wordpress.
8. I finally got the second menu bar (just below the header) to work in Firefox and Opera.
9. Made a separate page for archives (still needs some adjusting).
What I plan to do:
I want to move the menu items that I mentioned above into the middle block. (I’m still trying to get that working). I changed my mind and I’m leaving it where it is now.
2. I plan to make my own videos and podcasts. I already installed the Podpress plugin but I need to get software that will convert large movie files to Flash Video (FLV files).
3. Purchased a new video camcorder that has a USB connector to make it work as a webcam. I needed a new camcorder for my family anyway and they are much better video quality than just ordinary webcams.
By the way, have you noticed all of the spam videos on YouTube lately? Just try searching for blogging videos and you will find things like “Fat Naked Blog” or “I can Teleport”, Milf Sex”, “Naked”, etc.
What a load of crap! Of course we can always flag them but I have better things to do than police videos, and it won’t be long before YouTube will have the same reputation that Blogger blogs now enjoy.
Isn’t it also ironic that YouTube is owned by Google. It really makes you think doesn’t it?
I’m still mulling over my blogging future. With so many copycats out there it’s getting harder to differentiate my blog from the rest of the pack. I really don’t want to sully myself by lowering this blog to their sploggy level, gaming Google and recycling content like most of them do. But admittedly it’s getting harder to compete with cheaters and if I can’t be successful without stooping to their level then I just won’t blog anymore.
The good news is a book is in the works and I will post more news about it at the appropriate time. So that’s what I’ve been doing lately. How goes it with your blog?