10 Blog Tips for Successful Blogging
Much has been said about what it takes to be a successful blogger. But most of these blogs just talk about making money. Not one to mince words I thought I would cut through all the hoopla and sum it up with the following tips. This is still a work in progress of course but if you follow these blog tips diligently your blog can’t help but be successful. Trust me
1. Bloggers should write posts consistently and ideally every day. Nobody likes to visit a dead blog. Want to see your readership disappear? Just stop blogging for a few days and check your stats.
But the catchword here is you should be writing quality posts. So if you can’t write quality posts every day then write at a pace that is comfortable for you, but do be consistent.
2. Remembering what your grammar teacher taught you and checking your spelling is not enough. Please go Go Easy on the Adverbs, Exclamation Points and Especially the Hooptedoodle.
3. A little personality and character will go a long way to make your blog interesting, stand out from the crowd and cultivate readership loyalty. Gather enough readers and soon you will have a community.
4. Make your blog look visually appealing but also functional. A plain, butt-ugly, hard to read, unmanageable or otherwise dysfunctional website design is an immediate turnoff. Readers will only give you a few seconds of their time before making a judgment and deciding whether to stay or move on to the next link.
5. Which brings me to templates. How do you expect anybody to remember you or take you seriously if your blog looks like everybody elses? So make your blog memorable.
6. Bloggers should be passionate about their topics as well as credible. Bore your readers and you can be sure they won’t come back. Do your homework but don’t just regurgitate what you read elsewhere. They call that plagiarism.
7. Don’t just write for people. Write for spiders.
7.5 Don’t just write for spiders. Write for people too.
8. Find your niche. The more focused your content is the more influential you will be within your chosen topic. Specialized sites rule and that is how internet communities develop. If you feel the need to speak about the news or controversial topics, consider creating a separate blog for that. You can always interlink between them.
9. Promote your blog. (Does it ever end). When I say promotion I don’t just mean submitting your site address to the search engines, directories, etc. I also mean engaging in the “conversation”. That means visiting other blogs and leaving intelligent comments, trackbacks or emails (and I don’t mean spamming either).
The residual affect is that other commentors will click on your link you left behind. And don’t forget the importance of email or the common telephone either (Skype, Google Talk etc.). There’s nothing like direct communication or hearing another voice on the other end.
10. Buy your own domain name. Take control of your destiny so if you should decide to move your blog later, your domain name stays with you and you can point it to your new blog host address. Make sure that whatever service you purchase your domain name from also provides free URL forwarding.
* This post was recently update since 2005