Finding Your Blog Voice
Here is a video clip of a panel at the Blog World convention that I was supposed to speak at last summer. You might have to turn up your volume to hear it properly.
So how do you find your blogging voice?
Here’s a tip. You can find your voice according to your blog niche.
What do I mean by that? Well in my case I’m the Blog Bloke. To me that says I have an expertise in blogging and I’m a down to earth sort of chap without any pretence, and I’m not afraid to speak my mind.
Believe it or not that is the real me, so I try to write in the same voice as if you were to meet me in person. That’s no small feat to pull off blogging semi-anonymously.
Because we can hide behind our computer screens it’s easy to give in to the temptation to create a character that we aspire to be. But is that the real you?
Remember the first time when you saw yourself on camera. What we think of ourselves and how we are seen by others can sometimes be diametrically opposed.
So what is your schtick? Maybe you are a humorist blogger, or perhaps you are trying to establish yourself as an authority on a certain topic. Or maybe you’re just writing your online biography.
No matter, what’s important is that you speak in a voice that is unique to YOU. Don’t try to be like everyone else or some mentor that you look up to. Just be yourself.
Fit your niche around you and not the other way around.
Have You Found Your Blog Voice Yet?
1. Have you succeeded in finding your blog voice and do you have any success stories that you can share with us?
2. Are you being true to yourself or are you playing a role that you want us all to believe?
3. Are you writing in your real voice, or do you find yourself faking it out of character because that is a role you perceive your audience expects from your blog niche?
4. Or have you been able to find a balance between being true to yourself and the role that you are trying to establish within your niche?
5. What challenges are you facing trying to find your true blogging voice?
What Next? Here's more from BLOGBloke: Tweet
What Next? Here's more from BLOGBloke: