How I got 300% More Blog Traffic in just One Week, Part 1
My dear Blokesters. I have to be honest with you. I came real close to the abiss and almost quit blogging.
It all started with a frank email exchange I had with another blogger that left me feeling frustrated and depressed.
Combine that with comments being down on this blog and I drafted a farewell post (which is still in draft and I will keep it there as a testament for future reference).
Fortunately I never published it and I’ve written down my observations of our discussion which I may publish at a later date.
While I was away from blogging I’ve kept myself busy working behind the scenes and I managed to reach some major accomplishments for this blog.
- I increased my daily traffic more than 300% in just one week (it’s now up to 500%) without even writing a post. I accomplished this amazing feat with a combination of SEO tweaks, tagging, and amalgamating my blogging related posts under one domain by importing older articles from my other blogs.
- I’ve managed to claw my way back to the top 10 on Google for my “Blog Tips” niche that I created. Over the years the copycats had gradually usurped my number #1 position. Never again.
- I owe it mostly due to my switching over to Wordpress and I could never have done it if I had stayed with Blogger.
- I can see now I did myself a great disservice by staying with Blogger as long as I did. Blogger just doesn’t have the raw horsepower, finesse or plugins that Wordpress has for SEO optimization.
- I also messed up by diluting my niche under different domains. In retrospect why I did that still remains a mystery to me (duh) and is a reason why the copycats were able to take over my position in the SERPs.
- The copycats are still slightly ahead of me but mark my words I SHALL regain my #1 position back again.
Thank you Wordpress. I love you.
If I hadn’t taken the time off I would never have had the time to tweak the blog. Considering that I almost quit blogging, this is a reminder that sometimes when things look their bleakest there can be a silver lining just around the corner.
I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I also made a lot of refinements to the blog. There’s too many to list here but in a nutshell:
- I’ve improved the navigation to make it easier to get where you want to go.
- Fixed the margins so they line up better, look neater and make better use of white space to help separate the content.
- Added some subtle background color and borders to contrast the content so that it’s easier to read without (hopefully) adding clutter.
- I’ve managed to fix the middle column on the home page with PHP and CSS to enable borders, background colors and images.
- Settled on a color scheme that makes sense and ties in all of the blog’s features and theme.
- Fixed the line spacing for bullets and lists.
- And much more!
I’m encouraged with this turn of events and every day I’m feeling my passion for blogging returning.
This is the first part of a series of posts where I will explain in detail how I was able to improve my traffic more than 300% in just one week.
Now go on to read Part 2 of the series.