Intellectual Property and What it Means to Bloggers
Please join Wayne Hurlbert and I Tuesday, August 13 at 8pm Eastern Standard Time as we discuss intellectual property, copyright and what it means to bloggers. Readers of this blog will know intellectual property is a topic that is near and dear to my heart and I have written extensively on it. Copyright is a topic that most bloggers are interested in. Whether you are a business blogger, a content curator, or a personal blogger who is concerned about copyright infringement, plagiarism and intellectual property rights … you will want to tune in.
Here are some of the questions that I will be answering:
- We hear a lot about the concept of intellectual property. In terms we can all understand, what is intellectual property?
- Why is it important to understand the concept of intellectual property?
- What is the most misunderstood principle in the topic of intellectual property?
- Many people will say that intellectual property is only of a concern to large corporations but not small business owners or bloggers. Why should they care?
- The concept of intellectual property has been a major topic in the music and book industries. How does this affect the creators of the content?
- When a blogger creates a post, and you point out that the idea is their intellectual property, why do we see so many reprintings or simple paraphrasings of the post?
- What is interesting is that a blogger who curates posts, is even claiming ownership of that intellectual property. Is this claim on the part of the curator valid?
- What should a blogger do if they see their ideas taken and used by another blogger?
- What would be an appropriate form of attribution for a post and an idea?
- How can a person even know if their intellectual property is being used without attribution. What tools or sites help to find these unattributed posts?
- How can a blogger get the post removed from another blog?
- What is the first step a blogger should take to prevent their intellectual property from being taken without attribution in the first place?
Here is the show description:
Long time blogger, search engine analyst, and well known online privacy advocate Blog Bloke describes the concept of intellectual property and why it is so important to understand. Blog Bloke provides in depth analsis of intellectual property,including the most commonly misunderstood principles, in easily understood language, Blog Bloke offers his ideas on why bloggers need to understand how intellectual property affects their posts and their ideas. He also presents the concepts of idea ownership and how proper attribution of ideas and posts is essential to good blogging practices. He also shows bloggers how to discover if their ideas are being used improperly by others, and how to take action to protect your own intellectual property. Learn how be a better blogger, who respects the intellectual property of others, and how to protect your own ideas from idea theft as well.
Hope to see you there.
P.s.: Something’s wrong with the sound. I sound like a garbled version of kermit the frog.