Who Are You Calling Arrogant? Setting the Record Straight
As hard as it is to believe sometimes I am accused of being arrogant. Like I told my friend Diane, to be sure I can be opinionated at times and I may come across as being a little confidant. Some have also called me cocky, but I prefer the word passionate.
So yes, I will agree with that assessment to a certain extent and you will get no argument from me. But does that make me “arrogant“?
Hmm .. well let me answer that first with a little background information.
What got me thinking about this was my radio show last night with Wayne Hurlbert when we were talking about a-listers and backslapping cretens amongst other things.
All too often I come across so-called gurus out there who think they are really hot stuff. They are always bragging on themselves and seeking the limelight. You know who they are.
Well I’m tired of reading all the propaganda and maybe it’s time that I set the record straight. So let’s compare credentials shall we:
- I worked in the computer industry before anybody had heard of Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.
- I was a pioneer in blogging and foresaw the future potential of blogging and social media before those other gurus had even heard of the term.
- I coded my RSS feeds from scratch before they came built-into blogs and shared my knowledge free of charge with fellow bloggers.
- I was the first to blog about blogging and created the Blog Tips niche.
- I designed, coded and built this blog from the ground up without any help.
- Even all of the graphics you find on this theme are my own design that I created in Photoshop from scratch.
- I have written numerous technical tutorials that are completely original that nobody else had written or been able to figure out.
- There is a lot more I could mention but I don’t want to be accused of bragging. (^_^)
So how many of those so-called gurus do you know can say the same?
Give up? Ok I’ll tell you — nada, zero, none come close to my knowledge, credentials and accomplishments. That speaks for itself.
Most if not all of those expert “gurus” are only marketers who copied or outsourced all of the hard stuff to the real experts.
The only thing they can really boast about is they are good at grabbing the limelight for themselves.
So by comparing myself to them does that make me a braggart? Well I guess you could accuse me of that, but I would just say I’m proud of my accomplishments more than anything else.
When you consider that social media is all about popularity and “influence”, sadly .. tooting one’s own horn seems to be an accepted practice (if not an obligation) nowadays.
They call it marketing.
At least I haven’t been as obnoxious about it as them. I waited all this time to finally set the record straight.
So getting back to the original question — am I really arrogant? Well perhaps I can come across as being a little arrogant. But I don’t think I’m nearly as bad as those other popularity-seeking “gurus“.
At least I can back up what I say, and I don’t need a BS Klout score or gagillians of phony followers to do it either.
Why did I write this?
I’ve been asking myself should all this nonsense really be necessary. I mean, I thought we left this immature attitude behind us when we finished high school.
Apparently the “gurus” out there disagree and seem to think it is necessary. After all, they are the ones who made up the rules. Not me.
But I still think I’m a nice guy, or at least I like to think I am. So go ahead and reach out and touch me. I won’t bite.