An Important Notice for the Blokester Network
Happy Valentines Day Everyone!
After yesterday’s lament about blog commenting, I’ve listened to what my Blokester’s are saying and come to realize that I need to clarify certain issues raised about the direction this blog is perceived to be heading.
In a nutshell I can tell you this – absolutely nothing has changed except for changes to the appearance of this blog and switching blog platforms.
One lesson that was reaffirmed from making the switch is that improved commenting is not necessarily platform specific or some magical pill for creating a sense of community on a blog. That is still dependant on a multitude of factors, and in my case it’s probably due to my not blogging as often as I normally
I think also some of my readers are confused on the direction this blog is heading because I have switched platforms, and recently written some posts that are specific to Wordpress users.
I wish to assure everyone that nothing has changed and this blog has and will continue to remain a blog for the benefit of ALL bloggers, regardless of which platform they may choose to use.
A Content Management System:
There were a number of reasons for me switching over to Wordpress, but one of the most compelling was that I wanted a content management system. This blog is a huge resource and there is so much content on it that I needed a content management system to showcase it better and make it easier for my readers to find the information they are looking for.
I believe the new theme has succeeded in this endeavour.
How this blog works:
1. At the very top right-hand corner there is a search box. That is self-explanatory and I need not say anymore about what it’s purpose is for.
2. To the right you will find menus for the 5 most recent posts, the most popular posts of all time, the sections (categories) and post archives.
3. Below that you will find a link cloud for the most popular tags. Tags are keyword-specific to help you find information you are looking for.
4. At the top left below the banner is the featured post, and immediately below that are more menu items for posts by category. Again, these posts are keyword related to help you find specific information.
5. Below that are recent posts with short excerpts, and to the right of that is the featured video.
6. In the comments section you will notice a block of area just above where you write your comment. If you click on that it will present you with a list of html shortcuts to make it easier for you to add formatting like bold, italics, etc.
7. Further below that you will also find a “preview” link that will allow you to (you guessed it) preview your comment before deciding to publish it.
8. I’ve also expanded the bottom footer to include links to randomly selected posts that you might be interested in reading, the most recent comments and meta links.
How to Read Posts:
I know this sounds dumb but please bear with me
When you are reading a post you will notice different colour-coded links. The bright-blue links are internal and external links that I’ve made to other posts that are related to the content.
The pale-blue links are for specific keyword tags that will take you to posts that I’ve written on topics related to the tag. For example, the tag Wordpress will link you to other posts that I’ve written on the topic of Wordpress.
At the bottom of each post are more category and tag links as well as 5 post titles that are related to the post you are reading.
All in all, this blog is designed to make it easier for you to drill down and find the information that are looking for.
If you still can’t find the information you want, please feel free to make a request for a specific topic that you need. If I have already written about it I will send you the link. If I haven’t written on the topic I will put it on my to-do list.
So please let me know what you think:
1. Does the new theme made it easier for you to find information?
2. Do you like the appearance of the new theme?
3. What blogging-related topics would like me to write about?
Cheers and thank you so much for reading!